Friday, October 24, 2014

Neil Gaiman

One of my fellow MFA students at CSUSB, Tracey Dover, recently shared an article/interview about Neil Gaiman on Facebook. 



One of the major questions behind the interview, which was published by "Fast Company," was how Neil Gaiman stays creative in a world full of distractions. I loved this response from him.



“It doesn’t matter what social media you’re plugged into, or what’s going on. At the end of the day, it’s still always going to be you and a blank sheet of paper, or you and a blank screen. My process as a creator is always the same. You write the thing you want to read. And you go on from there.”

The modern world is full of distractions. It is easy to fill your day until there is no time left for writing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You have to decide that you are a writer, or an artist, or an athlete. A vital part of making that decision is devoting time to your craft. 


According to Neil Gaiman, his "2 million followers are not going to do anything to get [his] stories written for [him]." He went on to say, however, that when he faces writer's block, "I talk to Twitter, retweet and comment on a couple of interesting things, answer a question, and then feel not as lonely as I did 10 minutes earlier...and I cheerfully go back to work.”


Consider the distractions that fill up the free time in your day. Some of them, particularly the people, deserve your time and attention. Just don't forget to devote time to your craft as well. 


IF you have the time, read the full article. I have included a link below the picture. Then, tell me what you think of Gailman's words and the article's message?


Happy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment