Tuesday, January 13, 2015

It's NaNoWriMo Time: Part 2

Ok, I don't know about the rest of you people, but NaNoWriMo does NOT work for me.


It just doesn't. I mean come on, who can write 50,000 words in a month. The whole concept is crazy.

Wait a second.

Didn't I do that once.

Didn't I do that just last year.

I can vaguely remember three months of marrathon writing when I had to finish the first draft of my thesis during the winter quarter. I may not have written 50 thousand words in a month, but I came pretty darn close. I was exhausted and incapable of movement, let alone creative thought, for the entiretly of my spring break. But that's ok. I got it done and I meet my deadline.

The point is that I was, that I am, capable of devoting significant time and evergy to my writing. So why can I never seem to follow through on NaNoWriMo?

I actually think I've figured it out.

Novemember, the start of the holiday season, is a stupid time of year to commit yourself to countless hours of writing. Especially if you have a teaching job to report to five days a week and family to visit out of state.

Needless to say, I did not complete the NaNoWriMo challenge. But that's ok. I did get some writing done that month and I did spend a lot of quality time with my family.

Those are good things too. Right? (Just kidding. I love you guys and holidays are great.)

In all seriousness, I applaud all the writers out there who met the NaNoWriMo challenge. It isn't an easy thing to do, and you did it. I'm a little jealous, but I'll get over it.


I don't know about the rest of you, but I am ready for my next challenge. Now that the holiday season is over and the New Year has begun, I am in a better place to recommit to my writing. I hope you feel the same way.

We can do it, people.

I'll post a few of my Writing Resolutions later in the week.  For now, happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment