Monday, September 15, 2014

One Writer's Legacy Part 1

In June of this year I graduated from CSUSB (California State University of San Bernardino) with a Master's of Fine Arts in Creative Writing with a focus on Fiction. Wow, that was a mouthful. I'm glad I didn't have to say it out loud.

The two years of that program were challenging, but life changing. I can appreciate them now that I have had a summer to recover, and I know I will never forget them.

I am already re-editing the young adult novel that was my thesis project, so I can't share it yet, but the other part of my thesis was a "Statement of Purpose." This was a piece where the MFA students were challenged to explain why they write.

I thought a nice way to introduce myself would be to share that Statement of Purpose. It is a bit long, so I am just going to share a little bit at a time. I will keep the same title so you know which posts come from the Statement of Purpose.

Ok, here is the introduction. 


One Writer’s Legacy

Human beings have an innate need to define themselves and their circumstances, a desire to understand who they are and what they are doing in this life. This drive pushes us to question everything, from the trivial activities that fill our days to the very reason for our existence. We wake up each morning to the roar of the alarm, we put on the uniforms of our professions, we prepare ourselves for all of the many tasks and responsibilities that make up the busyness of life, and then we walk out our doors and enter the world. On some level, we are working to make it through the day, to find enjoyment; but deep in our minds and in our hearts, we are searching for and hoping to better understand our eternal purpose.
As a young adult, still in college, I began the search for my life’s purpose. More than a decade has passed since then and in that time I have discovered eternal truths that guide my decision making, and by consequence, my writing. In sincerity, I know that I have only reached this point, where I can call myself a writer, because of these truths. Consequently, I look forward to and seek out the lessons that life has to teach us, to teach me. There is much that I have to learn, but I believe, I know, that much of the value in life is centered around personal growth. As I think back over the events that have led me to this point, to a place where I must explain my purpose as a writer, I realize that each of these events have been pivotal moments. Moments that have come together to shape my identity, and to give me an internal, and an eternal, sense of purpose.
In order to explain the purpose that now guides not only my life, but my writing, I must explain the truths I have learned, the truths that are the very foundation of the written work that I wish to share with the world. And in order to do that I must seriously reflect on my life and memories, on the moments that have made me Me.
Stay turned for Part 2 of "One Writer's Legacy."

No comments:

Post a Comment