Friday, September 26, 2014

Talent is Overrated: Day 1

Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much fun last night was. It was day one of my CSUSB sponsored workshop "Talent is Overrated." Teaching creative writing is soo much fun. And teaching adults is so different than what I'm used to, and amazing. Thank you to all of the participants for your genuine participation last night. Meeting you was great and I can't wait to get to know all of you.


Forgive me, I have to reminisce for a moment. It's only been three and a half months since I graduated from my MFA program. Going back to CSUSB was a little like coming home. I spent two years of my life there and they were unforgettable.

The workshop is being held in my favorite room at CSUSB. 40005 on the fourth floor of the Pfau Library. I spent countless hours there working on homework, my novel, and just relaxing before class. One of the reasons I loved it so much is the beautiful mountain view behind the entire wall of windows.



I guess one lesson I learned from that library is the importance of having a place to go and write. Not everyone needs this, but it has been helpful to my process. Just as I needed to dedicate my time to writing, I had to dedicate a space to writing. My time at grad school is over, so I've had to find a new place to write. Sometimes I meet a friend/s at Sweet Frog (a frozen yogurt shop) or Starbucks. Other times I hide away in my room. On the rare occasion when my house is empty, I work at a table downstairs in the living room. 

Everyone's process is different. As you begin, or refocus your own writing practice, consider what you need to do to help you succeed. Maybe you need to make regular appointments for writing, either by yourself or with a friend. 

Do whatever it takes. Remember, only YOU can decide that you are a writer. So make the decision and start living the life you've always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment